October 31, 2016
Dr. Gary VanMeter Award
MUSIC is proud to present the Dr. Gary VanMeter Award for Risk Management Excellence. The application period is now open and will close on October 31st. Winners will be announced at our Annual Membership Meeting on January 26th. The Dr. Gary VanMeter Award for Risk Management Excellence was created to honor Gary’s leadership and accomplishments during his 18 years as MUSIC’s Executive Director. During that time, the membership grew by 85 members, surplus was up $30 million even after returning $36.4 million back to the members, loss rates dropped by 26% resulting in an annual savings of $15 million or 20% of assessments, and the average annual meeting attendance went from 108 to 332. This is all on top of the introduction of multiple new programs and services to better serve the members of MUSIC.
An annual award will be presented, with two runners-up, for members that have demonstrated one or more of the following:
- Creativity in the design and delivery of risk management within their district/college
- Substantial financial results through extra risk management efforts
- Designing risk management programs that are replicable for other members
- Providing risk management assistance to other members
- Encouragement of student leadership in school climate improvement (e.g. anti-bullying, personal safety, diversity, healthy relationships) or other initiatives.
The winning MUSIC member will be given the opportunity to distribute a total of $2,500 in college scholarships to one or more deserving students at their discretion.
The application period is now closed. Winners will be announced at the 2017 Annual Membership Meeting.